Moonlight actor Mahershara Ali gives a moving speech at the SAG awards, a Washington bar owner is accused of racism after asking a designer for a poster with a “hot white guy” instead of a black one, the new Kellogg’s Cornflakes ad features a gay couple – all this and more in today’s Cuppán Gay.
- Moonlight star Mahershala Ali gave a powerful speech about empathy while accepting a Screen Actors Guild Award on Sunday, January 29. “I think what I have learned from working on Moonlight,” said Ali, “you see what happens when you persecute people, and they fold into themselves.” (Vox)
- The owner of a Washington DC gay bar is in hot water for asking a designer for a “hot white guy” instead of a black model for a poster publicising his bar’s Thirsty Thursdays promotion. However, leaked emails indicate that the ‘racist’ request occurred over 5 years ago in 2012. (Pink News)
- An Iranian engineer green card holder who left the US on a gay cruise was detained and barred from re-entering the country on Sunday. Fortunately, engineer Maysam Sodagari was released after being detained for 4 hours. (Advocate)
- A new advertising campaign by Kellogg’s called #MyPerfectBowl includes a real gay British couple, sharing how they take their cereal. (LGBTQ Nation)
- A new report released by Church of England bishops says marriage can only be between a man and a woman, but says church must stand against homophobia. (The Guardian)
© 2017 GCN (Gay Community News Ireland). All rights reserved.