Winner of Alternative Miss Ireland 2009, Smilin’ Kanker aka Ciaran O’Keefe presents a brand new show for Tiger Dublin Fringe, An Insignificant Man, which runs at The Pearse Centre, Dublin from September 16 – 20. We get to know the man himself…
1. How and where were you born?
With great difficulty, in front of a baying crowd, on the Red Line Luas.
2. Who are your two biggest influences?
Antoine Jérôme Balard (1802–76), the man who invented poppers.
Breda O’Brien, the woman who introduced me to them (at Sides Nightclub 1993. Bless!)
3. Have your ever sought help for your poppers problem?
I’ve never felt the need as that little brown bottle of ‘room odorizer’ is my one and only true friend.
4. Describe your new show in five words.
Modest prevents saying it’s fab.
5. What is your proudest moment?
Being awarded ‘Arse of the Year’ by The Boilerhouse (142nd place)
6. If you could duet with any one person, living or dead, who would it be?
Sandie Jones, the only person to sing ‘as Gaeilge’ in a Eurovision (Ceol an Ghrá 1972)
7. Five famous people, living or dead, you’d invite to a dinner party at your place?
Mrs. Lally Twomey R.I.P.
Malachy ‘The Ride’ O’Sullivan R.I.P.
Fr. Fergus Driscoll R.I.P.
Úna ‘Bad Girl’ Murphy R.I.P.
Dympna Duddy, my psychotherapist. Still living, thank God.
8. Who would play both of you in the Hollywood biopic of your life, and what would it be called?
I always get them mixed up. But Edward Jedward would play me. And the other one, Jedward Edward, would play my alter ego. It’d be called Ridin’ Big Time: My Adventures With Enda Kenny, God and Mullingar.
9. If the world were ending tomorrow, what would you do today?
Wait quietly, sing a little hymn and sniff a little poppers. (Amsterdam are the best. Those ones for a tenner in the sauna are crap.)
10. The meaning of life according to Smilin’?
Life is a lovely thing to possess. Don’t throw it away on silly things that don’t really matter.
© 2014 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.
comments. Please sign in to comment.