Star Trek adds a gay character to its TV series, NYC’s Gay Men’s Chorus harmonise with the Golden Girls, NI Assembly passes gay pardon..this and more in today’s Cuppán Gay.
- Star Trek: Discovery adds a gay character to the upcoming cast of the lastest iteration of the long-running TV show. Lieutenant Samuels. The character, Lt Samules (played by Rent’s Anthony Rapp) is described as “a fungus expert and Starfleet science officer”. (Out)
- The Northern Ireland Assembly has passed a motion pardoning men convicted of historic, now-legal ‘homosexual’ acts. The motion, which gives legislative consent to a law already passed in Westminster. (Irish Times)
- NYC’s Gay Men’s Chorus met the puppets from an “off-off-off Broadway” show about TV’s favourite fun-loving pensioners The Golden Girls for a quick rendition of the show’s beloved theme song. (Out)
- An Indiana man, Connor Hakes, who wanted to sing at his grandmother’s funeral, was told by the presiding catholic priest that because of his ‘gay lifestyle’ he wouldn’t be allowed to do so. (Towleroad)
- A US appeals court will hear the workplace discrimination case of a women who claims her employer discriminated against her after finding out she was a lesbian. The case is a test of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act as so far every U.S. appeals court to consider the issue has ruled that Title VII does not protect gay workers.(Reuters)
© 2016 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.