RuPual’s Drag Race Season 9, Trump’s ‘Religious Freedom’ Executive Order, Frank Ocean’s father sues for $14.5m and more: the biggest international LGBT news in today’s Cuppán Gay
- A leaked draft of ‘Religious Freedom’ Executive Order reveals plan to allow discrimination of LGBT people based upon religious beliefs. The order would allow “any organization, including closely held for-profit corporations” the right to refuse service to whomever they choose based on their religious or moral beliefs. To read the draft click here. (Towleroad)
This draft EO is a sweeping and dangerous license to discriminate and an attack on LGBTQ Americans. https://t.co/FlxLIDuPQ9
— Chad Griffin (@ChadHGriffin) February 2, 2017
- Religious leaders outraged by leaked ‘Religious Freedom’ Executive Order. More than four hundred religious leaders wrote to Trump saying: “As faith and civic leaders who affirm the sacred dignity and equal worth of every person, we are now writing to you. We urge you not to undermine these important protections against discrimination by adding a religious exemption to the Executive Order.” (HRC)
- High school footballers forced their teammates to perform blowjobs on each other as part of a hazing ritual. Members of Chicago’s Lake Zurich High School said that they were “brutally mocked, teased, humiliated, embarrassed and emotionally harmed, all in the name of team bonding.” (GSN)
- RuPaul’s Drag Race burst back onto screens with this announcement trailer for Season 9. Check out the trailer below. (Youtube)
- An English priest has been jailed for sexually assaulting a boy on a holiday in Ireland. Sixty-seven year old priest Michael Dunn pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a twelve year old boy in the 1970s in Ireland. (The Irish Times)
- Frank Ocean’s Dad is suing the artist for alleging he called a trans waitress a “f****t”. “I was 6 years old when I heard my dad call our transgender waitress a f****t as he dragged me out of a neighbourhood diner saying we would’t be served because she was dirty,” Ocean wrote. Ocean’s father is seeking $14.5m in damages. (Complex)
- France’s Nationalist Party is winning the support of LGBT citizens. With Marinne Le Pen leading Le Front National, the right-wing party’s “de-demonising” strategy aims to secure the votes of LGBT people, by unifying them against Muslim immigrants. (Buzzfeed)
That’s it for today’s Cuppán Gay.
© 2017 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.