James Corden is Belle, YouTube’s LGBT censorship, BBC irks Gaga fans again, George Michael and more: the biggest international LGBT stories in today’s Cuppán Gay
- YouTuber Calum McSwiggan urges YouTube to stop censoring LGBT content. It has recently been discovered that Google owned YouTube censors LGBT content in a ‘Restricted Mode’ which, when selected, restricts viewers from accessing “potentially objectionable” video content. Many of the LGBT videos that have been blocked do not appear to contain adult themes. Calum McSwiggan took to YouTube to highlight that ‘Restricted Mode’ appears to filter LGBT content disproportionately. (Attitude)
Hi @TeamYouTube! We are an LGBTQ+ channel *for children* and our videos on gender are blocked in restricted mode. This is not ok.
— Queer Kid Stuff (@queerkidstuff) March 17, 2017
- The BBC responds to infuriated Lady Gaga fans after cutting LGBT lyrics from TV for the second time. The LGBT lyrics were cut from Gaga’s song Born This Way on The One Show with lyrics: “No matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered life” were removed form the show. The BBC claimed that the song was “shortened purely for length,” as they did when fans complained about the same erasure on their show Let It Shine. (Pink News)
- A university in the Philippines are getting gender neutral bathrooms. The Lyceum of the Philippines University (LPU) has approved construction for two gender neutral bathrooms on its campus in Manila. The Founding President of the University, wrote in a letter: “[This is] One big step for a more open-minded and a more embracive LPU.” (GSN)
Spread the good news friends and family! Approved na po ang first ever gender-neutral comfort rooms sa LPU! 🙂 One big…
- George Michael’s physician reveals that the star knew he was near to death. Simeon Niel-Asher, who treated Michael for three decades, said: “When I last saw him he was in good spirits. It was a beautiful last session. We had a really weird conversation, it was interesting and it was strange. Sometimes people know they are going to die and they get everything in order. I wonder if there was a bit of that going on, like he somehow knew.” (Pink News)
- James Corden drags up in a bright yellow ball gown and brunette wig to become Belle in this Beauty and the Beast recreation. Joining Corden are actors from the live-action remake of the film Luke Evans (Gaston), Dan Stevens (The Beast) and Josh Gad (LeFou in the film, Lumière in this video). (Attitude)
That’s it for today’s Cuppán Gay.
© 2017 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.