Mariah Carey is getting nasty on her new single, “Thirsty”, singing lyrics like: “You used to be Mr. All About Me/now you’re just thirsty for celebrity”.
The latest single from Mariah Carey’s oft-delayed 13th studio album, Me. I am Mariah Carey…The Elusive Chanteuse, which has been in development since 2011, is a major shift in gear from her recent ballad singles.
The song, produced by HitBoy, comes in two versions – one solo and one featuring guest star Atlanta rapper Rich Homie Quan, and is a full-on hip-hop track reminiscent of Jay-Z’s and Kanye West’s Niggas in Paris.
During a recent Facebook Q&A, Carey spoke about the forthcoming album, due for release on May 23 through Def Jam Recordings, saying, “I can’t even express this properly, but I feel like this is gonna be my favourite album”.
The record’s unusual title was explained by the 44 year-old singer to be based on a self-portrait that she drew at the age of three, which she captioned: “Me. I am Mariah”.
Watch Mariah talk about the concept of the album’s title:
The set features previous singles “You’re Mine (Eternal)”, “The Art of Letting Go” and “#Beautiful” Featuring Miguel as well as collaborations with hip-hop stars such as R. Kelly, Nas and Mary J. Blige.
Notably, the album’s original lead single “Triumphant”, which underperformed upon release in 2012, is absent from the track list, seen below:
3. Dedicated (feat. Nas)
4. #Beautiful (feat. Miguel)
6. Make It Look Good
7. You’re Mine (Eternal)
8. You Don’t Know What To Do (feat. Wale)
9. Supernatural (With Special Guest Stars “Dembabies” a.k.a. Ms. Monroe & Mr. Moroccan Scott Cannon a.k.a. Roc ‘N Roe)
12. Money ($ * / …) (feat. Fabolous)
13. One More Try
14. Heavenly (No Ways Tired/Can’t Give Up Now)
15. It’s a Wrap (feat. Mary J. Blige) [Deluxe edition]
16. Betcha Gon’ Know (feat. R. Kelly) [Deluxe edition]
17. The Art of Letting Go [Deluxe edition]
18. Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse
Listen to “Thirsty” in full over at Billboard.
© 2014 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.
comments. Please sign in to comment.