95 year-old comes out, DUP lose power to veto gay marriage, Russian lawmaker wants to ban Beauty and the Beast’s gay ‘propaganda’, Kate McKinnon: the biggest international LGBT stories in today’s Cuppán Gay
- Same-sex marriage could be coming to Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland’s DUP have lost the power to veto same-sex marriage with their seats in Stormont falling below the thirty required to instigate a petition of concern. The DUP, which is led by Arlene Foster, has been staunchly opposed to legislating for same-sex marriage. (Belfast Telegraph)
- A university in Cardiff has advised people not to use the word “homosexual”. “These days the terms ‘homosexual’ and ‘heterosexual’ seem laden with the values of a previous time. Referring to ‘same-sex’ and ‘other-sex’ relationships is a good option,” the section on Sexuality and Relationships from the ‘Code of Practice on using Inclusive Language’ guide states. (Pink News)
- A ninety-five-year-old man came out of the closet. Roman Blank knew he was gay when he was five years old, but didn’t come out of the closet for ninety years. He was married and had children, saying when he came out, he told his family the “whole tragedy” of his life and then they understood what had happened to him. (Out)
- Russia has been urged to ban Disney’s latest live-action remake, Beauty and the Beast, because it is gay propaganda. A Russian lawmaker said the film is “a blatant, shameless propaganda of sin and perverted sexual relationships.” A drive-in theatre in Alabama, USA has also decided not to show the film, because the owners “will not compromise on what the Bible teaches.” (My High Plains)
- Over 50% of Japanese LGBT people were bullied at school. A recent survey of 15,000 people carried out by the Takarazuka University School of Nursing in Osaka showed that over 50% of LGBT people were bullied in school, with almost 70% of respondents saying that their teacher did nothing to help them. (GSN)
- Kate McKinnon’s Gump inspired Jeff Sessions is everything. McKinnon plays the Attorney General sitting at a bus stop with a box of chocolates and recounting various stories to people who sit beside him. “I’m the Attorney General of the whole United States. I got to meet the president and everything,” Sessions begins. Watch the video below. (Youtube)
- A father in the UK raped his lesbian daughter to “prove sex was better with men” after she came out to him. The judge, who sentenced the father to twenty-one years in jail, said while handing down her ruling: “You reacted by showing real and uncontrolled anger, and you decided to rape her to show her why it would be better to have sex with men than women.” (GSN)
That’s it for today’s Cuppán Gay.
© 2017 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.
comments. Please sign in to comment.