Jussie Smollett leaving court In an extraordinary turn of events, all charges related to allegedly filing a false police report claiming he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack against Jussie Smollett have been dropped.
The announcement was made following an unplanned court appearance in Chicago today.
Smollett, who starred in ‘Empire’, made a brief statement to the media after the hearing saying that this has been “an incredibly difficult time”:
“I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one. I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I have been accused of.
“This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life, but I am a man of faith and I am a man that has knowledge of my history and I would not bring my family, our lives, or the movement through a fire like this, I just wouldn’t.”
He continued: “I’d like nothing more than to just get back to work and move on with my life but make no mistakes I will always continue to fight for the justice, equality and betterment of marginalised people everywhere.”
Smollett’s alleged attack happened in the early hours of Sunday, January 29. Smollett claimed he was approached by two men wearing ski masks who yelled racist and homophobic slurs at the actor. They then put a noose around his neck and proceeded to punch him, before pouring a chemical substance on him.
According to police, the men were yelling “This is MAGA country”, in reference to Donald Trump’s presidential slogan “Make America Great Again”
Jussie Smollett has faced myriad rumours that he was somehow involved with the attack and has denied each hoax claim that comes forward. He was later charged with disorderly conduct for lying to police but after today’s ruling, his record has been wiped clean.
Prosecutors have not given an explanation but confirmed an “appropriate resolutions” had been reached.
Prosecutor’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said: “After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case.”
Jussie Smollett had made a $10,000 bond payment to get out of jail following his arrest.
Prosecutors have not said whether any new evidence came to light since Smollett’s last court appearance.
© 2019 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.
GCN has been a vital, free-of-charge information service for Ireland’s LGBT+ community since 1988.
During this global COVID pandemic, we like many other organisations have been impacted greatly in the way we can do business and produce. This means a temporary pause to our print publication and live events and so now more than ever we need your help to continue providing this community resource digitally.
GCN is a registered charity with a not-for-profit business model and we need your support. If you value having an independent LGBT+ media in Ireland, you can help from as little as €1.99 per month. Support Ireland’s free, independent LGBT+ media.