LGBT Fairytales, Lynx’s new inclusive campaign, Malaysia’s ‘gay conversion’ therapy & more: the biggest international LGBT stories in today’s Cuppán Gay
- Malaysian government supports gay conversion therapy. The predominantly Islamic country does not recognise LGBT rights for the most part. A short video produced by the Islamic Development Department’s Jakim compares same-sex relationships to horse riding, indicating that with the right guidance and training, difference can be corrected. Jakim also said that repentant homosexuals should fulfil sexual desire through heterosexual marriage or fast to suppress their impulses. (Pink News)
- Gorgeous trans model Valentina Sampaio from Brazil will feature on the cover of French vogue. The magazine’s editor, Emmanuelle Alt, said Sampaio has “beauty striking enough to stun on the cover of Vogue”. “Trans people, the ultimate symbol of a rejection of conformity, are icons that Vogue supports and chooses to celebrate.” (Pink News)
- President Trump will keep Obama’s LGBT rights envoy. Randy Berry will continue in his role as the Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTI Persons. Ross Murray, GLAAD’s director of programs said: “This is really surprising to me.” (Pink News)
- LGBT themed fairytale sees a prince and a provincial farm boy fall in love. ‘Promised Land’, created by New Zealand authors Adam Reynolds and Chaz Harris tells the story of a friendship between the two young men turn into love. The authors said they wanted to “write the story that our 8-year-old selves needed.” The eBook is also available on Amazon and iBooks in various languages. (Attitude)
— Tenani French (@Tenani) February 14, 2017
- Lynx’s new ad campaign features same-sex couple and a trans man. The ad, which went live on Valentine’s day, features five pairs including a same-sex couple and a trans man and his girlfriend. LGBT marketing specialist Ian Johnson welcomed the campaign. “This is powerful, authentic inclusion at its best,” he said. (GSN)
- Titus Andromedon takes on Beyoncé’s Lemonade in a new Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt trailer. The popular Netflix series will return for its third season this May. Check out the trailer below. (Queerty)
That’s it for today’s Cuppán Gay.
© 2017 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.