French police have announced plans to cut short Paris’ Pride march citing security concerns in the wake of the Orlando massacre.
The Marche des fiertés à Paris will still go ahead on July 2, but the route has been reduced by half the distance, from approximately 5km to 2.5 km. The Local.fr reports that the march was postponed last week due to clashes around the Euro 2016 tournamernt.
French authorities have cited concerns for the safety of marchers following the massacre at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub this month as the primary cause of the route reduction. The decision follows two weeks of negotiation between LGBT groups and the police, who initially sought to postpone the event until September.
Many LGBT groups expressed anger at the decision, saying that by reducing the route police are “letting terrorism win.”
“Giving in to fear, giving in the LGBT-phobes, this is just giving up on our struggles, our battles, our rights to live, and our diversity,” said LGBT rights group Acthe in a statement. “Giving in to fear is letting terrorism win.”
Activist group Inter-LGBT said they received news of the curtailment with “ a slight dose of anger”.
The new route will run along the River Seine from the Louvre to Bastille, rather than from Montparnasse to Bastille as orignally planned.
© 2016 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.