This morning saw the confirmation of Ireland’s entry into next year’s Eurovision, despite calls to boycott the competition which will be held in Israel.
Ireland is one of 42 countries confirmed to enter the song contest. Of the countries that competed last year, Bulgaria is the only country that will not participate again due to financial reasons. There has been no indication of an official boycott from any individual country.
Israel secured hosting rights earlier this year as the country’s entry Netta was victorious with her song ‘Toy’. Eurovision 2019 will be held in Tel Aviv next May.
— Eurovision (@Eurovision) November 7, 2018
Speaking on the confirmation of the 42 competing countires, Jon Ola Sand, the song contest’s executive producer said:
“We are thrilled that 42 countries will be represented in Tel Aviv and hope the participating broadcasters are inspired to have the same dream. The team at KAN is busy preparing to welcome the participants – and the world! – to Tel Aviv and will be putting on a show to remember.”
Earlier this year, a number of prominent figures called for Ireland to boycott next year’s Eurovision due to Israel’s treatment of Palestine. David Norris, Ailbhe Smyth and Kieran Rose backed the boycott campaign which was organised by the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign, PalFest Ireland and Trade Union Friends of Palestine.
At the launch of the campaign, Riverdance’s set designer Robert Ballagh spoke about the need to protest:
“When Nelson Mandela visited Dublin soon after his release from prison in Robben Island, I asked him what role the international boycott of South Africa played in the ending of apartheid there.
“Mandela told me that ‘the boycott was one of the most important weapons in the struggle against apartheid’. As it was then, so it remains today. This is why I fully support this call for an Irish boycott of the Eurovision 2019 in Israel. We must show the same solidarity to Palestinians living under Israeli apartheid as we did to black people under South African apartheid.”
© 2018 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.
GCN has been a vital, free-of-charge information service for Ireland’s LGBT+ community since 1988.
During this global COVID pandemic, we like many other organisations have been impacted greatly in the way we can do business and produce. This means a temporary pause to our print publication and live events and so now more than ever we need your help to continue providing this community resource digitally.
GCN is a registered charity with a not-for-profit business model and we need your support. If you value having an independent LGBT+ media in Ireland, you can help from as little as €1.99 per month. Support Ireland’s free, independent LGBT+ media.