From Disclosure to Drake and Krystal Klear to Lady Gaga we run down our favourite pop songs of 2013.
Yesterday I ran through my top pop picks of the albums released in 2013. Today I’m wrapping up the list madness with a look at the best pop singles of 2013. Below are songs that I had on repeat at various points throughout the year. You can read the list from 40 to 1 below then stream them in that order via Deezer straight after (although the playlist starts at track 1 it’s meant to play in order you see below).
The Top 40 Pop Songs of 2013
40. Cher Lloyd – I Wish: Scrappy R’n’b pop gem oozing charm
39. Natalia Kills – Problem: Hook heavy with a giant guitar riff.
38. Jennifer Hudson – I Can’t Describe (The Way I Feel): Disco pop heaven
37. Diana Vickers – Cinderella: 80s tinged treat
36. Demi Lovato – Heart Attack: Blockbuster pop done just right
35. RuPaul and Lady Bunny – Lick It Lollipop: Drag divas nail twerk-pop
34. Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull – Live It Up: Trashy? Yes but also very fun
33. V V Brown – The Apple: Slick synth aggression
32. Cher – Take It Like A Man: Camp thrills at their finest
31. Rudimental feat. Ella Eyre – Waiting All Night: Rousing and addictive
30. Daithí feat. Raye – Chameleon Life: Warm and beguiling electro pop genius
29. Iggy Azaelea – Bounce: A booty shaker that’s hard to beat
28. Mariah Carey feat. Miguel – Beautiful: Sun-kissed R’n’B magic
27. Cyril Hahn – Perfect Form: Buzzed about remixer makes pop gold all his own
26. Little Nikki – Little Nikki Says: Both hook driven and a total banger
25. Lana Del Rey – Young and Beautiful: Swoon inducing cinematic indie pop
24. Charli XCX – SuperLove: Jangly guitars and a monster chorus
23. Avril Lavigne – Here’s To Never Growing Up: Uncool it may be but perfect bubblegum
22. Disclosure feat. AlunaGeorge -White Noise: Cool-kid crossover pop heaven
21. Sky Ferreira – Everything is Embarassing: Only officially out here in 2013 this still shines
20. The Saturdays – Disco Love: Bubbly, carefree and demanding of repeat plays
19. Hot Natured – Isis (Magic Carpet Ride): Kooky pop gem buried in a hipster house package
18. Ciara – Body Party: The slow jam to end all slow jams. Brilliant.
17. Bonnie McKee – American Girl: Songwriting star beats her own bubblegum game
16. Kyrstal Klear feat. Jenna G – Addiction: Enormous 80s twinged dance number
15. Drake feat. Majid Jordan – Hold On, We’re Going Home: A future classic? Probably
14. Havana Brown – Flashing Lights: How Kylie would sound if she did Get Lucky
13. Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball: Pop ballad at it’s very best
12. Mutya Keisha Siobhan – Flatline: Harmonies, melancholy and pop bliss all in one go
11. Neon Jungle – Trouble: One of the year’s best stompers
10. Tamar Braxton – The One: Sunny, radio-ready pop at it’s best
9. Jessie Ware – Imagine It Was Us: Sleek and addictive and should have been huge
8. Robin Thicke feat. T.I. & Pharrell – Blurred Lines: Controversial but undeniable funk pop
7. Little Mix – Move: A girl band moment for the ages with a weird but great structure to boot
6. Lady Gaga – Applause: Offbeat meets bubblegum on this heady rush of a tune
5. Daft Punk – Get Lucky: Overplayed but still awesome disco pop with instant classic status
4. Selena Gomez – Come and Get It: Raunchy pop blockbuster that’s hard to beat
3. Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX – I Love It: Around since 2012 but dominated here from early 2013
2. Britney Spears – Work Bitch: Both bonkers and brilliant, juddering rave pop at it’s best
1. Lady Gaga feat. R. Kelly – Do What U Want: Kelly’s own highly questionable presence aside this electro-R&B gem has an urgency that ties into it’s impossibly catchy refrain. Brilliant.
© 2013 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.